Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Too Much About Sabrina

PC: LaToya Rose Williams

 

I've got Hobbies for Days...

Thanks for stopping by to take a look, this is me

My name is Sabrina and you're welcome to remember that any way you'd like. I don't have a black cat named Salem but I do have a dog named Dotty, a turtle named Daisy, and a dwarf rabbit named Mr. BunBun. They are all rescue pets so I do my best to make sure they are happy and healthy.

Most importantly I'm a mom to an amazing little girl who I named Isabella Noel, but she likes to be called Bella. My goal as a mom is to be a great example for her. To think critically, be independent, and never stop learning. She is young and already so is polite, clever, and full of joy.

I decided I needed marketing in my higher education because I'm a business owner and working for myself gives me a kind of 'chaotic peace of mind', I am a photographer my business is Bellatrix Photographic. I named it that with some help from my friends, it was inspired from one of my tattoos which is the star Bellatrix in the constellation Orion. A tattoo I got when I accepted truth in compliments, that it is ok to allow others to admire you. My Photography specializes in portraits and events. Most recently I have become the photo editor for The Commuter at LBCC giving me new opportunities to capture current events and see my images in print.

I've made ads for other companies in the past; Earthbound Beauty Day Spa in Newport where I was the assistant to the owner and receptionist, I really enjoyed my time here, I made close friends and cared about the business. I also shortly worked at a day spa in Corvallis when I moved back, with a toxic work environment, the owner here took advantage of everyone who worked for her and enjoyed causing drama and anxiety, this experience taught me what never to be as a boss or leader, and that it is not always failure to walk away. 

I also do ads for my parent's business, Beaver Plumbing, they own and run it so I do their ads on facebook and sometimes the ads really take off organically! So this term I am most interested in learning all the ways marketing surrounds us, and what I can use in my own business and my parents'.

I am majoring in Journalism and Public Health. I've always had a passion for healthcare because I took care of all my grandparents as they passed away and grew up with my mom being disabled from surviving polio as a child. I've been an in-home caregiver for disabled adults and the elderly as well as worked hospice end of life care. I've also spent years working with children from 6 months to 12 years old. I've found these groups, the young and old have a need for advocates. Working as a massage therapist for a decade showed me everyone in between is in need of reliable health coverage for maintaining healthy bodies and preventing health issues in their future.

 I have a passion for journalism because of my life experience, I literally promised a woman on her death bed I would write a book of all my stories, also that I would never use a tanning bed because of skin cancer, Shirley got me with some good promises at the end there, a truly wonderful woman. Mixing these worlds together is what I aim to do. Bring the healthcare world into an easily understandable and truthful view of the public. Expose the places we fail to cover basic human rights to usher the United States to Universal Healthcare and success in moving forward for the health of our nation. I've never seen our current "for profit health coverage" think of my clients as valuable human life, but I've seen this system constantly value human life in dollars and debt.

Outside of my higher education and career goals I love living in the woods and working in my garden. I have a year round herb garden in a half greenhouse and a vegetable garden that produces in the summer and fall. I live in a small community north of corvallis in the hills at the top of Soap Creek Valley and have become active in preserving our historic schoolhouse and have a Garden Stand at the end of my driveway near the road where I provide extras from my garden and things I make like candles, elderberry syrup, and herb infused olive oil. I also enjoy building lamps from old parts and upsycling materials. I enjoy making things in general, DIYing feels like a way of life. Even when I throw parties and events I love making pieces, baking cupcakes, cooking dishes, decorating for the event or holiday, it is such a joy to put it all together so beautifully. Which could be why I love working with clay so much, taking a ceramics class through LBCC was such a joy, I got to make coffee cups for my whole family and all my friends, a dog water dishes for all the fur-babies we have.

With my best friend since 7th grade who is also my neighbor, pre-covid days and in the future we like to cosplay at ComicCons. Last time we went I got to dress up my daughter who was 3 years old as characters from Star Trek and Supernatural, and for SteampunkCon I made her a jet pack and victorian costume. It comes in handy that I can sew and create glamor and effect makeup looks. I've designed makeup looks for whole shows in local community theater such as Alice in Wonderland Through the Looking Glass and Aladdin (Panto). We have been involved in theater since we were kids.

So, yeah... I have a lot of interests and hobbies, which feels funny that I've had a time in my life years back where I felt lost and like I couldn't do anything at all. Turns out I'm really good at many things, but I truly excel at helping others.


“Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.”  -Ralph Waldo Emmerson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Main Stage at The Benton County Fair

       Gearing up to take event photos at the Benton County Fair I choose my Canon Mark iv and my Sigma 50mm art. But on the inside I was ex...